Table of Contents
- What is FASTag?
- Things to know about FASTag
- What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Cashless Payments
- Mobile Alerts through SMS
- FASTag Online Recharge
- Faster Moving on Highway
- Cashback Offers
- How to buy FASTags?
- Documents Required for the Application of FASTag
- How FASTag Works?
- List of Banks Providing FASTags Account
- FASTag Blacklisted
- How to Use FASTag?
- FASTag Common Problems
- How to Buy HDFC FASTag?
- HDFC FASTag Apply
- HDFC FASTag Online
- HDFC FASTag Registration Offline
- HDFC FASTag Application Status
- HDFC FASTag Customer Care Number
- HDFC FASTag Charges
Indian roads and especially highways have become really good in the last few years. The infrastructure of the roads have been improved to a great extent which provides uninterrupted traffic flows without any jams on the roads. If you are a frequent traveller, you might not face any problems on these roads and can have a smooth journey, but still there were some things which were not under our control and usually you would hate during your journeys. One of such problems travellers face was long queues at toll plazas across the highway, which would waste a lot of time waiting for your turn. But now the government has introduced FASTag for vehicles which have been made mandatory for four wheelers from December 2019. More than 600+ toll plazas across the country are equipped with FASTag. Let us get to know about what is FASTag, benefits of FASTag, how to get FASTag for your vehicles and when is your FASTag blacklisted.
What is FASTag?
The government of India with the help of National Payments Corporation of India has developed the NETC program which refers to National Electronic Toll Collection. This programs allows collection of toll tax without any human intervention. This program is also known as FASTag which help to reduce the rush at toll plazas across the. The FASTag is device which uses RFID technology that is Radio Frequency Identification which will deduct the toll charges automatically when the vehicle will pass through FASTag lane of toll plaza. The FASTag sticker is applied on the front windscreen of the four wheelers and when they will pass through toll, money will be auto debited from the FASTag account linked with the vehicle.
Things to know about FASTag
Though FASTag is easy and convenient method to pay your toll tax without any human intervention, but still there are some points about the technology which are necessary to know before you move your vehicle on highways:
- FASTag can be used at any toll plaza across the country irrespective of the fact that whosoever is the acquirer of toll plaza.
- FASTag is affixed on front windscreen of the four wheeler.
- If you own more than one four wheeler, you will have to have separate FASTag for both the vehicles. You cannot use same FASTag for multiple vehicles.
- Once you have purchased a FASTag for a vehicle, it will be valid for 5 years. You can recharge the FASTag as per the requirement after the initial buying of the FASTag.
- FASTag can be recharged online through netbanking, UPI, debit cards, credit cards and paytm. Minimum amount to recharge FASTag is Rs100 and maximum amount is Rs 1,00,000.
- You should always buy FASTag from trusted banking partners only.
- You should never buy a FASTag from the company which asks to link your bank account. You should always used prepaid service for the FASTag.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
The FASTag have many advantages for the for wheeler owners. The benefits of FASTag are listed below:
One of the best advantages by making FASTag compulsory is the tension of having an exact change at toll plazas. The transaction will be cashless and money will be automatically debited from your FASTag wallets.
Mobile Alerts through SMS
Whenever you will pass through any toll plaza, you will receive sms alerts on your registered mobile numbers when money will be deducted from FASTag. You will also receive alerts for low balance in your FASTag wallet.
This is one of the best advantages of having FASTag. You can recharge it anytime using debit cards, net banking and UPI.
Faster Moving on Highway
Thus it also reduces the travelling time from one place to another as it will reduce human intervention saving your precious time.
For promoting FASTag government is providing very good cashback offers for the users. Currently they are providing 2.5% cashback for every transaction through FASTag wallet.
How to buy FASTags?
FASTags can be bought from various sources . Many nationalized and private banks are providing the facility to create a FASTag account. Moreover, some of the payment wallets such as paytm are also issuing the FASTag for the four wheelers. You can also buy FASTag at toll plazas, where they have a Point of sale (POS) which will help in getting FASTag.
Here is the list of banks which are providing FASTag accounts:
List of Banks Providing FASTags Account
|Bank||Customer Care Helpline
||Tag issuance charge|
|Airtel Payments Bank||400||Rs. 100
|EQUITAS SMALL FINANCE BANK||1800 103 1222||Rs. 100
|IDFC FIRST Bank||1800-266-9970||₹200 including service tax|
|PAYTM Payments Bank||1800-102-6480||Rs. 100|
|State Bank of India||1800-11-0018||Rs. 100|
|Axis Bank Ltd||1800-419-8585||Rs. 200 + service tax|
|Federal Bank||1800-266-9520||Rs. 100|
|Indusind Bank||1860 -500- 5004||Rs.200|
|Punjab and Maharashtra Co-op Bank||1800-223-993||Rs. 200|
|Syndicate Bank||1800-425-0585||Rs. 200|
|Bank of Baroda||1800-103-4568||Rs. 84.74 + GST|
|FINO Payments Bank||1860-266-3466||Rs.100 + GST|
|Karur Vysya Bank||1800-102-1916||Rs.100|
|Punjab National Bank||080-67295310||Rs.100|
|Union Bank of India||1800- 22- 22 44||Rs.100|
|HDFC Bank||1800-120-1243||Rs. 200|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800-300-69090||Rs. 100|
|Saraswat Co-operative Bank||1800-266-9545||Rs.100|
|Yes Bank Ltd||1800 -1200||Rs.100|
|City Union Bank Ltd||1800-258-7200||Rs. 200|
|ICICI Bank||1800-2100-104||Rs. 99.12|
|Nagapur Nagarik Sahakari Bank||1800 -266- 7183||Rs 100|
|South Indian Bank||1800-425-1809||Rs 100|
A person can also buy the FASTag from the automobile company from where he is going to buy his four wheeler and they will install the FASTag on their new vehicles.
Documents Required for the Application of FASTag
Whenever you are going to buy a FASTag account, you will require some documents along with their photostat copy. Here is the list of the documents you will need when buying a FASTag for your vehicle:
- RC of the vehicle for which you are going to have FASTag.
- The user will also require to submit the passport size photograph of vehicle owner.
- You will need a document for KYC which is any one of these – driving license, adhar card, Pan Card, Voter Id and Passport.
How FASTag Works?
Here are the steps where we will learn how does FASTag transaction works when it is initiated at toll plaza through RFID reader:
- A vehicle will pass through FASTag lane where RFID device will capture FASTag details which includes ID of the tag, Class of the vehicle and TID which is sent to the bank for processing.
- The bank will further initiate a request to NETC Mapper which will validate the tag details.
- After the Tag ID is validated by NETC, the mapper will send details which are vehicle class, tag status and VRN. IF the mapper is unable to locate Tag, it will return a response that particular TAG ID is not registered.
- Thus the bank will calculate the toll fare and a debit request is initiated towards NETC.
- After that The NETC will forward the request to bank which has issued FASTag to debit from FASTag account of user.
- Now the money will be deducted by the host and the user will receive an SMS alert. The host will also send the message to NETC.
This is how FASTag will deduct the money from your account and you can travel hassle free.
If you pass through any toll plaza and your FASTag wallet is out of money, your FASTag wallet is usually blacklisted for 48 hours, if you use the FASTag lane for crossing the toll gate. Your FASTag account will only be reactivated with the intervention of NHAI helpdesk in case you are travelling. You can also call on NHAI customer helpline number which is 1033 for reactivating card.
Usually when a person buys a FASTag Rs 200 is added as a security deposit which can be used during emergencies. If in case you have exhausted your main FASTag wallet account, the amount can be deducted from the security deposit. And again when you will recharge your wallet, firstly money will get added as a security deposit which you have used and rest of the amount will get deposited in your main FASTag wallet.
How to Use FASTag?
Now we are aware of FASTag, we will see how the FASTag works when a vehicles enters toll plaza:
- First of all when your vehicle enters FASTag lane, RFID reader on the lane will auto detect your FASTag and deduct the amount from your FASTag wallet.
- You will get a confirmation receipt on your email and also an alert message on your phone linked with tag.
- Once the money is deducted from your tag you will get a green signal and you can successfully pass through the plaza without any hassle.
FASTag Common Problems
Everything has its pros and cons. Pros are already explained and now we will see what are the difficulties one can face while using FASTag.
Sometimes when you will pass your vehicle through FASTag lane, the RFID reader might not detect the FASTag of your vehicle. You might need to move your vehicle little backward and forward and you must also ensure that FASTag is correctly placed on your vehicle so that it’s easily detectable.
If your FASTag is still not detected than a man on toll plaza will come with handheld RFID reader to detect your tag. There are some disadvantages of these hand-held devices:
- They are faulty at some times.
- They need to be charged after 5-6 hours.
Some companies are deducting the FASTag charges if you are not using in the name of FASTag event. So don’t buy FASTag from such companies. As FASTag is a prepaid wallet you don’t need to link your bank account with FASTag.
How to Buy HDFC FASTag?
HDFC FASTag program is also an effort of NETC rolled out by NPCI with the guidelines carried out by NHAI and IHMCL. A reloadable tag which will deduct your toll automatically when your vehicle passes through a toll without caring of exact change required during cash transactions. HDFC is also issuing the FASTag to its customers. You can apply for the HDFC FASTag online as well as offline by visiting their Point of Sales location and carrying the required documents.
HDFC FASTag Apply
It’s very easy and convenient to apply for FASTag with the help of HDFC bank. You can apply for this both online and offline.
HDFC FASTag Online
You need to follow the below mentioned steps to apply for HDFC FASTag :
- You will need to visit HDFC bank FASTag webportal.
- Now the first option there is if you have HDFC BANK account or not. If you click yes you will be asked for your customer id and then you will be sent otp on your registered mobile.
- If you click no, than you will be asked another option whether it’s a personal vehicle or a commercial vehicle.
When you select any of them you will see a form in which you have to fill all the details mentioned in the form.
- After filling the form you will be redirected to tab called “Vehicle Registrations” where you will fill the registration number of the vehicle along with the vehicle type.
- After that click next and upload the documents which are required to complete the application.
- After uploading your documents review your application and submit.
- Pay the necessary fees shown to you while completing the application and you are done.
Thus we are done with HDFC FASTag registration online and now we will show you how to get your HDFC FASTag registration offline.
HDFC FASTag Registration Offline
You can also apply for the HDFC FASTag offline by visiting the Point of Sales location of HDFC bank. Follow the steps below to apply FASTag offline:
- Visit any Point of sale location of HDFC Bank along with your vehicle.
- You will need these documents while visiting the place which are Registration certificate of the vehicle, your passport size photograph, your identity proof such as driving license, voter id or aadhar card.
- After that you need to fill out a form for FASTag which you will sign and submit to the bank representative.
- Than you will be asked to pay the required fees as per the class of your vehicle and your FASTag will be created.
- Than your FASTag will be applied to the windscreen of the car by the banking representative so bring your car along with you. Hence your HDFC FASTag registration is completed.
HDFC FASTag Application Status
When you apply for HDFC FASTag online, you can check your FASTag account by using retail login where you need to fill your user id which is sent to you during registration of your tag. Once you enter the portal by entering the password, you can access all the details of your FASTag account. You can check your HDFC FASTag application status there. Usually it takes 7 days if you are residing in a metro city and will take 15 days if you are in non metro city.
If you have applied for FASTag offline, than you can get to HDFC FASTag Customer Care and call at 1800-120-1243.
HDFC FASTag Customer Care
HDFC have issued a HDFC Customer Care Number for the sales and services of FASTag. If you face any emergency circumstances during your drive on national highway than they are also providing roadside assistance for their customers
HDFC FASTag Customer Care Number
Here is the customer care number for HDFC FASTag
- HDFC FASTag Customer Care Number : 1800 – 120 – 1243
- HDFC Emergency RoadSide Assistance Number : 022-67872087
HDFC FASTag Charges
As we are done with all the information regarding HDFC FASTag registration, HDFC FASTag Customer Care Numbers and all other necessary information, now we will see how much HDFC is charging for issuing of FASTag for its user. You will have to pay the following charges to get your HDFC FASTag
- Tag Joining Fee (One-time Fee): FREE* (Till 31st December, 2019)
- Reissuance Fees: 100/- ( including all applicable taxes)
The one advantage they are giving is on FASTag joining fees, which they are not charging to the users till 31st December 2019. You will need to pay the other charges such as security deposit and threshold amount which you need to pay when you are joining FASTag through HDFC Bank. The charges are explained in the below table.
HDFC FASTag Charges
|NPCI Vehicle Class||Description||Security Deposit (in Rs.)||Threshold Amount (in Rs.)|
|4||Car / Jeep / Van / Tata Ace and Similar mini Light Commercial Vehicle||200||100|
|5||Light Commercial vehicle 2-axle||300||200|
|6||Bus– 3 axle||400||500|
|6||Truck – 3 axle||500||500|
|7||Bus 2 axle / Minibus, Truck 2 axle||400||500|
|12||Tractor / Tractor with trailer, Truck 4, 5 & 6 -axle||500||500|
|15||Truck 7-axle and above||500||500|
|16||Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery||500||500|
You will have to incur GST on above mentioned charges separately from time to time. Threshold amount is a necessary requirement for the activation of tag. The amount of toll tax which will be deducted will depend upon the vehicle class and the toll plaza rates.