Indian roads and especially highways have become really good in the last few years. The infrastructure of the roads has been improved to a great extent which provides uninterrupted traffic flows without any jams on the roads. If you are a frequent traveler, you might not face any problems on these roads and can have a smooth journey, but still, there were some things which were not under our control and usually, you would hate during your journeys.
One of such problems travelers face was long queues at toll plazas across the highway, which would waste a lot of time waiting for your turn. But now the government has introduced FASTag for vehicles which has been made mandatory for four-wheelers from December 2019. More than 600+ toll plazas across the country are equipped with FASTag. Let us get to know about what is FASTag, the benefits of FASTag, how to get FASTag for your vehicles, and when is your FASTag blacklisted.
What is FASTag?
The government of India with the help of the National Payments Corporation of India has developed the NETC program which refers to National Electronic Toll Collection. This program allows the collection of toll tax without any human intervention. This program is also known as FASTag which helps to reduce the rush at toll plazas across the. The FASTag is a device that uses RFID technology that is Radio Frequency Identification which will deduct the toll charges automatically when the vehicle will pass through the FASTag lane of the toll plaza. The FASTag sticker is applied on the front windscreen of the four wheelers and when they will pass through the toll, money will be auto-debited from the FASTag account linked with the vehicle.
Things to know about FASTag
Though FASTag is an easy and convenient method to pay your toll tax without any human intervention, still there are some points about the technology which are necessary to know before you move your vehicle on highways:
- FASTag can be used at any toll plaza across the country, regardless of the toll plaza’s acquirer.
- FASTag must be affixed to the front windscreen of a four-wheeler.
- If you own more than one four-wheeler, you must have separate FASTags for each vehicle. You cannot use the same FASTag for multiple vehicles.
- Once you have purchased a FASTag for a vehicle, it will be valid for 5 years.
- You can recharge the FASTag as required after the initial purchase.
- FASTag can be recharged online through net banking, UPI, debit cards, credit cards, and Paytm.
- The minimum amount to recharge FASTag is Rs 100, and the maximum amount is Rs 1,00,000.
- You should always buy FASTag from trusted banking partners only.
- You should never buy a FASTag from a company that asks you to link your bank account.
- Always use a prepaid service for the FASTag.
What are the benefits of using SBI FASTag?
The FASTag has many advantages for wheeler owners. The benefits of FASTag are listed below:
One of the best advantages of making FASTag compulsory is the tension of having an exact change at toll plazas. The transaction will be cashless and money will be automatically debited from your FASTag wallets.
Mobile Alerts through SMS
Whenever you will pass through any toll plaza, you will receive sms alerts on your registered mobile numbers when money will be deducted from FASTag. You will also receive alerts for low balances in your FASTag wallet.
This is one of the best advantages of having FASTag. You can recharge it anytime using debit cards, net banking, and UPI.
Faster Moving on Highway
Thus it also reduces the traveling time from one place to another as it will reduce human intervention saving your precious time.
For promote FASTag government is providing very good cashback offers for the users. Currently they are providing 2.5% cashback for every transaction through the FASTag wallet.
How to buy FASTags?
FASTags can be bought from various sources. Many nationalized and private banks are providing the facility to create a FASTag account. Moreover, some of the payment wallets such as Paytm are also issuing the FASTag for four-wheelers. You can also buy FASTag at toll plazas, where they have a Point of sale (POS) which will help in getting FASTag.
Here is the list of banks that are providing FASTag accounts:
List of Banks Providing FASTags Account
A person can also buy the FASTag from the automobile company from where he is going to buy his four-wheeler and they will install the FASTag on their new vehicles.
|Serial No.||Bank Name||FASTag Helpline Number|
|1||State Bank of India (SBI)||1800 11 0018|
|2||ICICI Bank||1800 2100 104|
|3||Axis Bank||1800 419 8585|
|4||HDFC Bank||1800 120 1243|
|5||Punjab National Bank (PNB)||080-67295310|
|6||Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800 419 6606|
|7||IDFC Bank||1800 266 9970|
|8||Bank of Baroda (BOB)||1800 102 4455|
|9||IndusInd Bank||1860 500 5004|
|10||Federal Bank||1800 425 1199|
|11||Canara Bank||1800 103 3568|
|12||Syndicate Bank||1800 425 0585|
|13||Karur Vysya Bank||1860 200 1916|
|14||South Indian Bank||1800 425 1809|
|15||City Union Bank||044|
Documents Required for the Application of FASTag
Whenever you are going to buy a FASTag account, you will require some documents along with their photostat copy. Here is the list of the documents you will need when buying a FASTag for your vehicle:
- RC of the vehicle for which you are going to have FASTag.
- The user will also require to submit a passport-size photograph of the vehicle owner.
- You will need a document for KYC which is any one of these – driving license, adhar card, Pan Card, Voter Id, and Passport.
How FASTag Works?
Here are the steps where we will learn how does FASTag transaction work when it is initiated at a toll plaza through an RFID reader:
- A vehicle will pass through the FASTag lane where the RFID device will capture FASTag details which include the ID of the tag, the Class of the vehicle, and TID which is sent to the bank for processing.
- The bank will further initiate a request to NETC Mapper which will validate the tag details.
- After the Tag ID is validated by NETC, the mapper will send details which are vehicle class, tag status, and VRN. If the mapper is unable to locate Tag, it will return a response that a particular TAG ID is not registered.
- Thus the bank will calculate the toll fare and a debit request is initiated towards NETC.
- After that, The NETC will forward the request to the bank which has issued FASTag to debit from the FASTag account of the user.
- Now the money will be deducted by the host and the user will receive an SMS alert. The host will also send the message to NETC.
This is how FASTag will deduct the money from your account and you can travel hassle-free.
SBI FASTag Blacklisted
If you pass through any toll plaza and your FASTag wallet is out of money, your FASTag wallet is usually blacklisted for 48 hours if you use the FASTag lane for crossing the toll gate. Your FASTag account will only be reactivated with the intervention of the NHAI helpdesk in case you are traveling. You can also call on NHAI customer helpline number which is 1033 for reactivating the card.
Usually when a person buys a FASTag Rs 200 is added as a security deposit which can be used during emergencies. If in case you have exhausted your main FASTag wallet account, the amount can be deducted from the security deposit. And again when you will recharge your wallet, firstly money will get added as a security deposit which you have used and the rest of the amount will get deposited in your main FASTag wallet.
How to Use FASTag?
Now we are aware of FASTag, we will see how the FASTag works when a vehicle enters a toll plaza:
- First of all, when your vehicle enters the FASTag lane, RFID reader on the lane will auto-detect your FASTag and deduct the amount from your FASTag wallet.
- You will get a confirmation receipt in your email and also an alert message on your phone linked with a tag.
- Once the money is deducted from your tag you will get a green signal and you can successfully pass through the plaza without any hassle.
FASTag Common Problems
Everything has its pros and cons. Pros are already explained and now we will see what are the difficulties one can face while using FASTag.
Sometimes when you will pass your vehicle through the FASTag lane, the RFID reader might not detect the FASTag of your vehicle. You might need to move your vehicle a little backward and forward and you must also ensure that FASTag is correctly placed on your vehicle so that it’s easily detectable.
If your FASTag is still not detected then a man at the toll plaza will come with a handheld RFID reader to detect your tag. There are some disadvantages of these hand-held devices:
- They are faulty at some times.
- They need to be charged after 5-6 hours.
Some companies are deducting the FASTag charges if you are not using them in the name of the FASTag event. So don’t buy FASTag from such companies. As FASTag is a prepaid wallet you don’t need to link your bank account with FASTag.
How to Buy SBI FASTag?
SBI FASTag is a 10*5cm rectangular tag containing a chip and antenna inside its layers which employs Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID) to make toll payments. The tag is affixed on the front windscreen of your vehicle which will help in crossing the toll plaza without waiting for any cash transactions and payment will be deducted automatically from your account. SBI FASTag is operational across many toll plazas on National Highways. The toll plazas under NETC can be used for vehicles affixing SBI FASTag.
SBI FASTag Application
An SBI FASTag purchase can be made by the customer offline.
SBI FASTag Application Offline
We will see how we can approach offline locations for the SBI FASTag application:
- Visit any POS location of SBI Bank in the country.
- Take your vehicle along with you to the bank location.
- Take your KYC documents such as Adhar Card, Voter, or PAN Card along with you.
- You also need to carry your photograph along with you.
- You also need to carry your vehicle’s Registration Certificate along with You.
- Fill out the SBI FASTag application and submit to the banking representative.
- Make the necessary payment and your FASTag account is created and your tag will be affixed by Banking Officer on your vehicle.
How to update SBI FASTag KYC ?
You need to carry KYC documents which are: Passport, Voter’s Identity Card, Driving Licence, Aadhaar Letter/Card, NREGA Card, PAN Card
There are two types of KYC accounts for SBI FASTag:
(a) Limited KYC holder’s account:
This type of account requires an RC copy of the vehicle, address proof which includes above-mentioned documents and photo of the customer. You cannot load more than Rs 10,000 is your FASTag account and reload limit is also
capped at Rs 10,000.
(b) Full KYC Holders account:
This type of account required the following documents:
- Registration Copy of the vehicle.
- Address proof as mentioned above.
- Photo of the Customer.
You can have Rs 1,00,000 in this type of account and there is no capping on reloading of the amount.
SBI FASTag Charges
SBI charges Rs 100 as a tag issuance charge. The security amount and threshold charges depend upon the class of the vehicle. You can check the SBI FASTag charges the below-mentioned table:
|Sr. No.||Vehicle Class No.||Particulars||Security Amount||Minimum Balance|
|1||4||Car / Jeep / Van/ Tata Ace and similar mini light commercial vehicle||200||100|
|2||5||Light Commercial Vehicle||300||140|
|3||6||Three Axle Commercial Vehicles||400||300|
|5||12||4 to 6 axle||400||300|
|6||15||7 or More Axle||400||300|
|7||16||Heavy Construction Machinery (HCM)/Earth Moving Equipment (EME)||400||300|
SBI FASTag Recharge
SBI FASTag can be recharged by various online banking methods or by credit cards, debit cards, and UPI apps like Paytm, Google Pay, and BHIM UPI. There is a limit of Rs 2,000/- per day if you recharge your FASTag wallet through UPI. It can also be recharged offline by paying cash to agents.
You can also recharge your SBI FASTag account online through SBI FASTag portal. Here are the steps to recharge through the SBI FASTag portal:
- Login to the SBI FASTag wallet by SBI FASTag Customer Portal which looks like this:
- Enter your mobile number and password which you have given during SBI FASTag registration.
- Now click on “Tag Recharge” .
- Then choose the payment method from the given list and recharge your SBI FASTag account.
SBI FASTag Toll Free Number
You can call the customer representative of SBI FASTag if you face any of the following problems related to SBI FASTag which are
- If you are stopped for a blacklisted Tag even if your tag is not blacklisted.
- The Toll Plaza is not Accepting your FASTag.
- Stopped at the plaza for Tag blacklist reasons even though Tag is not blacklisted.
- Your SBI FASTag is not readable at the plaza.
- Your plaza is denying the issuance of monthly passes for FASTag
SBI Fastag customer care
Sbi Fastag Toll-Free Number: 1800 11 0018
- How to change Fastag’s mobile number? No, we cannot change the Fastag mobile number. As the e-mail id and mobile number are registered at the time when the customer is making their Fastag for the first time. However, if the customer wants to change the vehicle registration number (VRN)then they can share their vehicle RC scans.
- How to change a Fastag account from one bank to another It is an easy process to change a FASTag account from one bank to another, you just need to follow the below-mentioned steps: 1. If the customer’s Fastag is linked with the Paytm wallet, which is in turn connected with another bank, then he/she can change the bank account and recharge the wallet from the new bank account.
2. However, in case if the customer’s Fastag is linked with the Paytm bank account, then by changing the bank, he/she also needs to cancel the Paytm linked Fastag as well.
- What to do with Fastag when selling a car?If you have sold/transfer your car, you are requested to inform your issuing source or bank and close the account as soon as possible.
How to Recharge SBI Fastag Through PhonePe App
- Login to your PhonePe app on your Mobile
- You will Recharge section at the top.
- Select the Fastag Recharge option on 2nd number
- You will see almost all Fastag operators in the list.
- Select your ban operator from the list
- Next: It will ask for your Vehicle number so enter your vehicle number
- Add your Fastag to your PhonePe account.
- Enter the recharge amount and proceed with the payment
- Complete the payment.
How To Recharge SBI Fastag Through Google pay App
- Open your Google Pay application.
- From the bottom of your screen, swipe up to find the Fastag.
- Click on FASTag Icon and then make payment.
- Choose the FASTag account that you want to send money to.
- Enter the Recharge amount.
- To confirm, tap the Tick mark.
- Complete the payment.
How to apply FASTag in SBI YONO app?
An integrated digital banking platform YONO is offered by the State Bank of India (SBI) to help users to access a variety of financial and other different services which also includes recharge for a FASTag. You can easily recharge FASTag using SBI YONO app, all you have to do is to follow the following steps:
Step 1: You need to use your credentials login to YONO SBI app.
Step 2: Click on YONO Pay.
Step 3: Under Quick Payments, click on FASTag.
Step 4: As you click on FASTag, you will be given the option to pay/recharge FASTag through UPI. Each time there is a deduction from your FASTag account, you will receive an SMS alert of the remaining balance.