Table of Contents
- What is FASTag?
- Things to know about FASTag
- What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Cashless Payments
- Mobile Alerts through SMS
- FASTag Online Recharge
- Faster Moving on Highway
- Cashback Offers
- How to buy FASTags?
- Documents Required for the Application of FASTag
- How FASTag Works?
- List of Banks Providing FASTags Account
- FASTag Blacklisted
- How to Use FASTag?
- FASTag Common Problems
- How to Buy FASTag with ICICI Bank?
- Steps to avail ICICI Bank FASTag
- ICICI Bank FASTag by SMS
- ICICI FASTag Price
- ICICI FASTag Delivery Status
- ICICI FASTag Account Recharge
- ICICI FASTag Customer Care
- ICICI FASTag Helpline Numbers
Indian roads and especially highways have become really good in the last few years. The infrastructure of the roads have been improved to a great extent which provides uninterrupted traffic flows without any jams on the roads. If you are a frequent traveller, you might not face any problems on these roads and can have a smooth journey, but still there were some things which were not under our control and usually you would hate during your journeys. One of such problems travellers face was long queues at toll plazas across the highway, which would waste a lot of time waiting for your turn. But now the government has introduced FASTag for vehicles which have been made mandatory for four wheelers from December 2019. More than 600+ toll plazas across the country are equipped with FASTag. Let us get to know about what is FASTag, benefits of FASTag, how to get FASTag for your vehicles and when is your FASTag blacklisted.
What is FASTag?
The government of India with the help of National Payments Corporation of India has developed the NETC program which refers to National Electronic Toll Collection. This programs allows collection of toll tax without any human intervention. This program is also known as FASTag which help to reduce the rush at toll plazas across the. The FASTag is device which uses RFID technology that is Radio Frequency Identification which will deduct the toll charges automatically when the vehicle will pass through FASTag lane of toll plaza. The FASTag sticker is applied on the front windscreen of the four wheelers and when they will pass through toll, money will be auto debited from the FASTag account linked with the vehicle.
Things to know about FASTag
Though FASTag is easy and convenient method to pay your toll tax without any human intervention, but still there are some points about the technology which are necessary to know before you move your vehicle on highways:
- FASTag can be used at any toll plaza across the country irrespective of the fact that whosoever is the acquirer of toll plaza.
- FASTag is affixed on front windscreen of the four wheeler.
- If you own more than one four wheeler, you will have to have separate FASTag for both the vehicles. You cannot use same FASTag for multiple vehicles.
- Once you have purchased a FASTag for a vehicle, it will be valid for 5 years. You can recharge the FASTag as per the requirement after the initial buying of the FASTag.
- FASTag can be recharged online through netbanking, UPI, debit cards, credit cards and paytm. Minimum amount to recharge FASTag is Rs100 and maximum amount is Rs 1,00,000.
- You should always buy FASTag from trusted banking partners only.
- You should never buy a FASTag from the company which asks to link your bank account. You should always used prepaid service for the FASTag.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
The FASTag have many advantages for the for wheeler owners. The benefits of FASTag are listed below:
One of the best advantages by making FASTag compulsory is the tension of having an exact change at toll plazas. The transaction will be cashless and money will be automatically debited from your FASTag wallets.
Mobile Alerts through SMS
Whenever you will pass through any toll plaza, you will receive sms alerts on your registered mobile numbers when money will be deducted from FASTag. You will also receive alerts for low balance in your FASTag wallet.
This is one of the best advantages of having FASTag. You can recharge it anytime using debit cards, net banking and UPI.
Faster Moving on Highway
Thus it also reduces the travelling time from one place to another as it will reduce human intervention saving your precious time.
For promoting FASTag government is providing very good cashback offers for the users. Currently they are providing 2.5% cashback for every transaction through FASTag wallet.
How to buy FASTags?
FASTags can be bought from various sources . Many nationalized and private banks are providing the facility to create a FASTag account. Moreover, some of the payment wallets such as paytm are also issuing the FASTag for the four wheelers. You can also buy FASTag at toll plazas, where they have a Point of sale (POS) which will help in getting FASTag.
Here is the list of banks which are providing FASTag accounts:
List of Banks Providing FASTags Account
|Bank||Customer Care Helpline
||Tag issuance charge|
|Airtel Payments Bank||400||Rs. 100
|EQUITAS SMALL FINANCE BANK||1800 103 1222||Rs. 100
|IDFC FIRST Bank||1800-266-9970||₹200 including service tax|
|PAYTM Payments Bank||1800-102-6480||Rs. 100|
|State Bank of India||1800-11-0018||Rs. 100|
|Axis Bank Ltd||1800-419-8585||Rs. 200 + service tax|
|Federal Bank||1800-266-9520||Rs. 100|
|Indusind Bank||1860 -500- 5004||Rs.200|
|Punjab and Maharashtra Co-op Bank||1800-223-993||Rs. 200|
|Syndicate Bank||1800-425-0585||Rs. 200|
|Bank of Baroda||1800-103-4568||Rs. 84.74 + GST|
|FINO Payments Bank||1860-266-3466||Rs.100 + GST|
|Karur Vysya Bank||1800-102-1916||Rs.100|
|Punjab National Bank||080-67295310||Rs.100|
|Union Bank of India||1800- 22- 22 44||Rs.100|
|HDFC Bank||1800-120-1243||Rs. 200|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800-300-69090||Rs. 100|
|Saraswat Co-operative Bank||1800-266-9545||Rs.100|
|Yes Bank Ltd||1800 -1200||Rs.100|
|City Union Bank Ltd||1800-258-7200||Rs. 200|
|ICICI Bank||1800-2100-104||Rs. 99.12|
|Nagapur Nagarik Sahakari Bank||1800 -266- 7183||Rs 100|
|South Indian Bank||1800-425-1809||Rs 100|
A person can also buy the FASTag from the automobile company from where he is going to buy his four wheeler and they will install the FASTag on their new vehicles.
Documents Required for the Application of FASTag
Whenever you are going to buy a FASTag account, you will require some documents along with their photostat copy. Here is the list of the documents you will need when buying a FASTag for your vehicle:
- RC of the vehicle for which you are going to have FASTag.
- The user will also require to submit the passport size photograph of vehicle owner.
- You will need a document for KYC which is any one of these – driving license, adhar card, Pan Card, Voter Id and Passport.
How FASTag Works?
Here are the steps where we will learn how does FASTag transaction works when it is initiated at toll plaza through RFID reader:
- A vehicle will pass through FASTag lane where RFID device will capture FASTag details which includes ID of the tag, Class of the vehicle and TID which is sent to the bank for processing.
- The bank will further initiate a request to NETC Mapper which will validate the tag details.
- After the Tag ID is validated by NETC, the mapper will send details which are vehicle class, tag status and VRN. IF the mapper is unable to locate Tag, it will return a response that particular TAG ID is not registered.
- Thus the bank will calculate the toll fare and a debit request is initiated towards NETC.
- After that The NETC will forward the request to bank which has issued FASTag to debit from FASTag account of user.
- Now the money will be deducted by the host and the user will receive an SMS alert. The host will also send the message to NETC.
This is how FASTag will deduct the money from your account and you can travel hassle free.
If you pass through any toll plaza and your FASTag wallet is out of money, your FASTag wallet is usually blacklisted for 48 hours, if you use the FASTag lane for crossing the toll gate. Your FASTag account will only be reactivated with the intervention of NHAI helpdesk in case you are travelling. You can also call on NHAI customer helpline number which is 1033 for reactivating card.
Usually when a person buys a FASTag Rs 200 is added as a security deposit which can be used during emergencies. If in case you have exhausted your main FASTag wallet account, the amount can be deducted from the security deposit. And again when you will recharge your wallet, firstly money will get added as a security deposit which you have used and rest of the amount will get deposited in your main FASTag wallet.
How to Use FASTag?
Now we are aware of FASTag, we will see how the FASTag works when a vehicles enters toll plaza:
- First of all when your vehicle enters FASTag lane, RFID reader on the lane will auto detect your FASTag and deduct the amount from your FASTag wallet.
- You will get a confirmation receipt on your email and also an alert message on your phone linked with tag.
- Once the money is deducted from your tag you will get a green signal and you can successfully pass through the plaza without any hassle.
FASTag Common Problems
Everything has its pros and cons. Pros are already explained and now we will see what are the difficulties one can face while using FASTag.
Sometimes when you will pass your vehicle through FASTag lane, the RFID reader might not detect the FASTag of your vehicle. You might need to move your vehicle little backward and forward and you must also ensure that FASTag is correctly placed on your vehicle so that it’s easily detectable.
If your FASTag is still not detected than a man on toll plaza will come with handheld RFID reader to detect your tag. There are some disadvantages of these hand-held devices:
- They are faulty at some times.
- They need to be charged after 5-6 hours.
Some companies are deducting the FASTag charges if you are not using in the name of FASTag event. So don’t buy FASTag from such companies. As FASTag is a prepaid wallet you don’t need to link your bank account with FASTag.
How to Buy FASTag with ICICI Bank?
FASTag program by ICICI bank is a part of NETC initiative which was rolled out by NPCI with the guidelines obtained from NHAI and IHMCL. With the ICICI bank FASTag, the toll will be auto debited when you will cross any toll plaza at any national highway. ICICI FASTag is also linked to prepaid account from where the toll tax amount is deducted.
Steps to avail ICICI Bank FASTag
You may need to follow the following steps to apply for ICICI bank FASTag:
- You have to go to this link and fill the form. You will see the following screen when you click on the link.
- Fill all the details mentioned in the form along with uploading of Registration Certificate of your vehicle.
- After filling the details, and cross checking your details, you need to click on confirm application.
- After that pay the required fees and you will be issued an ICICI bank FASTag.
ICICI bank has also point of sale location for issuing a FASTag for your vehicle. For these you have to follow the following steps to get a FASTag for your vehicle:
- Take your vehicle to the required point of sale location of ICICI bank.
- You need to carry Registration Certificate of vehicle, passport size photograph of the owner and also a valid id proof such as adhar card, pan card or driving license.
- Than you will fill the application of ICICI FASTag form available at POS and submit to the official there.
- After filling application and paying required fees , FASTag will be issued against your vehicle which a banking official will affix on the front windscreen of your four wheeler.
ICICI Bank FASTag by SMS
Another method by which you can apply for FASTag is by sending an SMS to 5676766. After you have sent the SMS you will we called by an executive from bank within 2 working days. Here is an example on how to send SMS:
SMS – ITOLL Pincode Name to 5676766. Example ITOLL 160072 Rohit Mehra
ICICI FASTag Price
Each and every bank have their own charges. ICICI bank too have some charges as mentioned. They charge Rs99.12 per tag as a joining fees. The other charges which include security deposit and threshold amount are based on vehicle class and the colour of the tag also depends upon the type of the vehicle. Here are the charges levied by the bank in the table:
ICICI FASTag Price
|Tag Class||Description||Tag Colour||Tag Deposit||Threshold amount|
|4||Car / Jeep / Van||Violet||200||200|
|4||TATA Ace and similar mini Light Commercial Vehicle||Violet||200||100|
|5||Light Commercial Vehicle / Mini Bus||Orange||300||140|
|6||Bus 3 Axle||Yellow||400||300|
|6||Truck 3 Axle||Yellow||500||300|
|7||Bus 2 Axle / Truck 2 Axle||Green||400||300|
|12||Tractor / Tractor with trailer / Truck 4/ 5/ 6 Axle||Pink||500||300|
|15||Truck 7 Axle and above||Blue||500||300|
|16||Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery||Black||500||300|
The threshold amount charged by bank is the minimum amount required for the activation of the tag. Further the taxes will be charged separately on above fees.
ICICI FASTag Delivery Status
You can check the delivery status of your ICICI FASTag by login into your FASTag account and other option is to call customer care at 1800 2100 104 which is a toll free number to check ICICI FASTag delivery Status.
ICICI FASTag Account Recharge
Once the FASTag account is used by a user, at some point of time you will need FASTag recharge to continue your journey along national highway. When your FASTag account gets low on balance you will need to recharge. For the FASTag account recharge of ICICI you can do it through any payment mode such as debit card, credit card and net-banking. Here are the steps to recharge your icici FASTag tag account:
- Visit the link and fill your icici bank FASTag customer id and password. you can see the login screen here:
- After you login, go to payments and than recharge account.
- After that select Tag/CUG wallet and choose the payment option such as debit card, credit card etc and your recharge is done.
- You can also recharge your ICICI FASTag account by cheque and cash at Point of Sale locations of ICICI bank.
- You might have to pay convenience fees in some payment methods which is mentioned in the below table:
|Payment Options||Funds upload time||Convenience Fees|
|ICICI Bank CIB and RIB||Real time||Free|
|Debit Card||Real time||0.2% to 0.85% (basis the transaction value)*|
|Credit Card||Real time||1.8% of transaction value*|
|Internet Banking||Real time||1% to 1.65% (basis the transaction value)*|
|NEFT||As per NEFT cycle||CUG wallet recharge: Free or NEFT/RTGS charged as levied by the source bankTag wallet recharge: Rs.15 per transaction for Tag level recharge|
|Cheque||ICICI Bank: T+1Other Bank: T + 4T = time or date of transaction initiated||Free|
ICICI FASTag Customer Care
If you are facing any problem regarding your ICICI FASTag , the bank has issued a customer care number to address your any problem:
ICICI FASTag Helpline Numbers
ICICI Bank FASTag Customer Care Number Toll Free: 1800 2100 104
ICICI Bank FASTag Customer Care Number Chargeable : 1860 2670 104