In India, the army, paramilitary forces, police personnel, and officers are exempted from
paying a toll tax at the toll plazas. The Government of India has made a separate FASTag for
them, which the defense personnel can affix to their motor vehicle. The toll plaza will scan
their FASTag card and open the toll barrier without deducting any money from their
account. These tags are technically known as ‘zero transaction’ tags.
Defense sector employees have been given exemption on national highway tolls under the
Indian Toll (Army and Air Force) Act 1901. The Central Government has also included the
Armed and Para Military Force personnel of the state in the exemption FASTag list
category. Vehicles transporting police, paramilitary, and state and central armed forces are
exempted from paying toll tax.
The Objectives of Free FASTag for Defence Personnel
With the introduction of these tags, the government is trying to put an end to the menace of
everyday commuters who avoid paying toll tax claim to be in the exempted category.
This is also aimed at keeping records of all the free transactions across the entire national
highway network. The free FASTags are linked to the office of the exempted category
individual and not to individuals as such.
Some of the key features of the free FASTag for defense personal
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has made it clear that exemption from paying toll charges on national highways to defense personnel is available only when they are “on duty”.
- Officers of 24 zones of NLAI are responsible to ensure the smooth flow of this initiative throughout the country.
- No exemption will be given if they are traveling in a private vehicle while being “off duty”. The FASTag exemption is not available for retired defense personnel.
- To get the benefit of free FASTag service, Jawans and officers have to apply online on the Indian Highway Management Company Limited (IHMCL) website. And only after conducting a thorough examination, FASTags will be issued to applicants.
- Getting a FASTag from the FASTag issuing banks and agencies will not provide this facility
- Defense sector employees are also exempted from paying fees for the application.
Documents required to apply for exemption FASTag
- Duly filled and signed Application form
- RC of the vehicle
- Applicant’s identity proof (Aadhaar, PAN card, Passport, etc.)
- Waiver proof/proof of exemption (service identification card)
IHMCL exempted FASTag online application process
Below are the steps that you can follow to apply for FASTag exemption online.
- First, you need to visit the Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) website and register yourself by providing your details like your name and email address and mobile number, and the city you reside in.
- Once the registration process is complete, your user ID and password will be sent to your registered email address.
- Next, you have to log in to the IHMCL web portal with the provided user id and password.
- Upon successful login, from the dashboard, you are required to download the application form for the exempted FASTag. After that, you have to click on the upload form and select your exempted category from the list.
- Post that, you have to select your respective NHAI regional office (RO) to submit the application form.
- Next, enter exempted applicant’s name, mobile number, and email address.
- Also, provide your vehicle registration number for the exempted FASTag.
- After that, you have to upload mandatory documents such as the RC of the vehicle, ID proof, and proof of exemption, along with a duly filled and signed application form.
- Finally, hit the submit button to complete the application process.
- After successful submission, you will receive a confirmation email along with the application case ID.
What is the post-application process for exempted FASTag?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to check after completing the application process for
your exempted FASTag.
- First, you need to log in to the IHMCL web portal using your user ID and password.
- After that, if there are any pending formalities left, you will have to submit your required documents to initiate the process.
- Once the application is approved you will receive an approval email and will be issued with an exempted FASTag.
- After that, you are required to collect your exempted FASTag sticker from your respective regional office of NHAI.
Exempted FASTag Support contact details
If you have any doubts or queries concerning exempted FASTag, you can write
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the validity of an exempted/free FASTag service?
An exempted FASTag for government vehicle transporting police, paramilitary, and state
and central armed forces is valid for up to 5 years. While the validity for private vehicles is
for only one year.
Is it mandatory for vehicles that are exempted from paying toll tax to affix a FASTag sticker?
Yes, it is mandatory for vehicles that are exempted from paying toll tax to affix the FASTag
sticker on their motor vehicle for scanning purposes.
What is the price to apply and get an exempted FASTag?
As per National Highways (NH) Fee Rule 2008, applicants can apply and get exempted
FASTags are free of cost.
Can I get an exempted FASTag from any FASTag issuing banks/agencies?
No, only an agency authorized by the NHAI (i.e. the Indian Highways Management
Company Limited IHMCL) is allowed to issue exempted FASTag in the country.