Electric Vehicle Subsidy Policy in Chhattisgarh
With the rise in number of electric vehicles plying on the roads, the government of Chhattisgarh is setting up more charging stations across the state. Chhattisgarh government also offers huge subsidy benefits for manufacturing electric vehicles and installing EV chargers and swappable battery stations within the state. The financial incentives offered to owners include both purchase incentives and scrapping incentives.
From ICVs to electric vehicles, there is a fast-approaching shift in the transportation industry. The change is driven by a need to reduce the country’s poor air quality and oil import bill while enhancing renewable sources of energy. In line with that, in 2022, the state of Chhattisgarh has introduced an electric vehicle subsidy policy. The subsidy policy will be valid for five years and extendable to 10 years, depending on the state government’s discretion. With the introduction of an EV subsidy policy, the state government of Chhattisgarh aims to achieve large-scale adoption of EVs while reducing vehicular pollution.
Let’s have a detailed look at Chhattisgarh State Electric Vehicle Policy 2022.
EV Purchase Incentives in Chhattisgarh
- The state government of Chhattisgarh will provide support up to 10% of the cost of the vehicle (excluding tax) or Rs. 1.5 lacs, whichever is less, on purchase of the electric vehicles, either for individual or commercial use, for five years till 2026-27.
- The State Government shall provide capital subsidy to minimize the viability gap between an internal combustion vehicle (lCV) and an EV of a similar model, specification, and performance.
- Fully electric vehicles sold and registered within Chhattisgarh will be eligible for EV subsidy incentives. Whereas, vehicles sold as hybrid electric vehicles will only be eligible for a 50% purchase incentive.
Additional Subsidy Incentives for 2Ws/3Ws/4Ws in Chhattisgarh
- The state government of Chhattisgarh will provide a 100% exemption of road tax and registration charges on the purchase of EVs for the operational period of the EV subsidy policy.
- Urban local bodies (ULB) will provide 50% subsidized parking for all personal EVs.
Purchase Incentives for Electric Buses in Chhattisgarh
- The state government provides 100% SGST on electric buses sold and registered in Chhattisgarh. The amount will be reimbursed if the e-buses are purchased during the policy period.
- 100% exemption on road tax and registration charges shall be made available for the first five years of the policy period.
- The bus operators in the state who wish to scrap their existing diesel-powered buses and replace them with e-buses shall be provided with additional financial benefits through a dedicated Transportation Fund.
Purchase Incentives for Goods/Other Vehicles in Chhattisgarh
- The state government provides 100% SGST on the sale of electric goods carriages/other vehicles sold and registered within Chhattisgarh during the policy period. The SGST amount paid at the time of purchase will be reimbursed.
- A 100% waiver of road tax and registration fees is applicable for the policy period.
- Electric goods carriages (vehicle category eligible under FAME India Phase-II) shall be exempted from the prohibition on idle parking on identified roads of the state during specified timings as notified by the local authorities.
How to apply for the Chhattisgarh State Electric Vehicle Subsidy Policy?
As of now, there is no dedicated online portal designed for EV subsidy policy in Chhattisgarh. The state government is working on creating an online portal to provide information regarding EVs, charging infrastructure, applying for EV-related incentives, and more.
For now, all EV owners (eligible under the FAME India Phase-II scheme) in the state can simply register their vehicles at Chhattisgarh’s official VAHAN portal or at the dealer’s end to avail of the subsidy benefits.