Electronic challan, or e-challan, is a computer-based ticketing system used in India to penalize traffic violators. An initiative of MoRTH by the Government of India, eChallan provides several user-friendly features while covering all major services of the Traffic Enforcement System.
The eChallan system is designed to help Transport Enforcement Officers and traffic policemen to monitor traffic violations and ensure road safety. E-challan captures defaulters through CCTV and charges them with a fine. E-challans are issued for various traffic rules violations, such as over-speeding, drinking, and driving, jumping red lights, wrong parking, not wearing a helmet/seatbelt, and more.
It is essential for vehicle owners to regularly check their e-challan status and make timely payments for any pending challans. It will help in avoiding any additional fines and legal action that may arise due to traffic rule violations. There are many ways to check eChallan status online. In this post, we will go through the process of checking e-Challan by using the Vehicle Number.
Continue reading to know how to check e-challan details by vehicle number:
Different Ways to Check eChallan Status
There are many ways to check pending challan details and make payments. For this, all you have to do is visit the eChallan portal at https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused- challan. You can check your eChallan status:
- By using Challan Number- Enter your challan number and confirm the captcha code o get details.
- By using Vehicle Number- Enter your vehicle number, along with the last 5 digits of the chassis or engine number. Confirm the captcha code to check your eChallan.
- By using DL Number- – Simply enter your driver’s license number and confirm the captcha code to get your eChallan details.
After checking your eChallan status, people with pending challans can further go for online payment from the same link.
How to Check E-challan by Vehicle Number- Online Process
It is crucial to regularly monitor your e-challan status and promptly pay any pending fines to ensure road safety and avoid further penalties. Checking e-challan status by vehicle number is a quick and easy process. Follow the steps given below to check eChallan status by Vehicle Number.
- The first step is to visit the eChallan Parivahan official website.
- On the dashboard, you will find the Challan details section/box with multiple options to check e-challan status, such as by challan number, driving license number, and vehicle number.
- Select the option to check the e-challan status by vehicle number.
- The next step is to enter your vehicle registration number in the mandated field. You are also required to fill in the last five characters of either your chassis number or engine number to fetch the challan details.
- Following this, confirm the captcha code shown in the image and click on the get detail tab.
- The website will then search for any pending e-challans against your vehicle.
- If there are any pending e-challans against your vehicle, the details will be displayed, including your challan number, the date of the eChallan issue, and the amount due.
In case of any pending challan, you can proceed to make the payment online (through the eChallan Parivahan website) or offline. It is essential to keep a record of your e-challan status and the payment made against any pending e-challans. This will help you to avoid paying the same fine twice and to prove your compliance with the traffic rules in case of any legal disputes.
How to Pay eChallan- Online and Offline Process
It is crucial to make payment of pending e-challan in a stipulated time. Below listed are some of the options through which a vehicle owner can pay their pending traffic challan.
Online Process: Visit the e-Challan Parivahan portal to get challan details and make payments. One can make the payment using PhonePe, Paytm, and credit and debit cards.
Visit a court: If a traffic eChallan was not paid on time, it will be sent to the court to make the settlement. Traffic defaulters have to appear in court to give clarification and make the payment.
Pay it to the on-duty traffic police officer: One can make the payment of their eChallan on the spot through a traffic police officer.
Head to the traffic police station: One can clear their challan dues by visiting the nearest traffic police station of the city they’ve been fined in. For this, a traffic violator has to ask the assigned officer with a challan machine to check the challan status. Individuals can pay the challan on the spot with cash or a card.