Some of the common directions issued by the Hon’ble High Court include:
- All school buses should have a valid permit, and the driver should possess a valid driving license.
- School buses should have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and other safety equipment.
- The bus should be fitted with speed governors, and the speed should not exceed the prescribed limit.
- The bus should have a “School Bus” sign and a “STOP” sign at the rear and front, respectively.
- The driver should not use a mobile phone while driving the bus.
- The bus should not carry more than the prescribed number of children.
If a school bus is found to be violating any of these directions, the driver and the owner of the bus can be penalized. The fines can range from a few hundred to several thousand rupees, depending on the nature and severity of the violation. In addition to the fines, the driver may also lose their driving license, and the bus may be impounded.