In India, it is mandatory for both the driver and the pillion rider of a two-wheeler to wear helmets. Failure to wear a helmet while riding as a pillion rider is a traffic violation that can attract penalties and fines.
Here are some rules related to pillion riders wearing helmets in India:
- All pillion riders of two-wheelers must wear helmets that meet the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) standards.
- The helmet must be fastened securely, and the chin strap must be properly adjusted.
- If a pillion rider is caught without a helmet or with a helmet that does not meet the BIS standards or is not fastened properly, they may be fined.
- The exact amount of the fine may vary depending on the state or city, but it can range from Rs. 500 to Rs. 1000.
- In some cases, the license of the driver may also be suspended.